Boat rentals start Thursday, May 18th, 2023!
- $375 / half day (4 hours)
- $475 / full day (8 hours)
- Multi-day Rentals Available for Full Day Rentals with discounted pricing per day
Enjoy your very own self-guided tour around the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore. Spend the day at the beach or hiking on Stockton Island, see the sea caves at Devils Island, or take the family fishing! We provide life jackets for each person on board, safety equipment and a laminated map of the Apostle Islands for you to take home.
Before departure, one of our staff will provide a tutorial on operating the boat safely and explain the routes and points of interest on the map. Based on wind, waves and weather that day we will suggest an itinerary for the day. Going to the sea caves at Devils Island is always great and typically those sea caves are what people picture for the Apostle Islands however being the furthest island out, ~25 miles away, weather/wind can be a factor and not always make Devils a good destination. Sand Island also has sea caves as well as a dock to dock the boat at and walk the trails on that island to the beach there. Those islands will both be about an hour boat drive going straight there, so please keep that in mind for your itinerary. Stockton Island is also a great location, with the famous Singing Sands beach and excellent hiking! Raspberry Island has a dock and you can walk up to the lighthouse grounds there.
Our rental boats are 21-feet cuddy cabin style cruisers with inboard/outboard engines. Rentals are available for people with previous boating experience, preferably someone who is a boat owner or has spent time boating on Lake Superior. Drivers must be 25 years of age or older and have a valid US driver’s license.
For boat rental inquiries, please email email@example.com!
Q & A
What kind of boats are available for rent?
- We rent 20-24-foot-long cuddy cabin style power boats with inboard / outboard motors.
Do I need to have boating experience in order to rent a boat?
- Yes! Boat rentals are available for person’s 25 years and older, who have previous boating experience and/or are boat owners. Drivers must also have basic knowledge of navigational charts, marine radios and dock safety.
Where do we pick up our rental boat?
- You will depart from our store in La Pointe, on Madeline Island. Boats leave from the docks across the street at the Beach Club.
- If you are staying on the mainland, you will need to take the ferry over to pick up your boat and complete the full check-out process. We are located within walking distance of the ferry landing.
What is the average cost for gas?
- The average cost of gas for one day was roughly $75-$100 in 2020, or about 25-35 gallons at $3.00-$4.00 per gallon.
Do I need to put gas in the boat?
- No, you will start the day with a full tank of gas. We will fill the tank after your rental and deduct the amount from the security deposit.
How many people can fit in a rental boat?
- Our rental boats hold maximum 8 people.
- We suggest no more than 6 adults, plus the boat operator to ensure a comfortable ride.
Can we use the boat for fishing?
- Fishing trips are allowed. You are responsible for having a fishing license and following the local rules.
- Fishing trips are typically a full day rental and start at an earlier time.
- If you’re planning on renting a boat specifically for fishing, please note that in your initial reservation so that necessary arrangements can be made.
Can we tow a tube behind the boat?
- Absolutely no towing is allowed. This includes, but is not limited to, tubes, kayaks, water-skiers, and other boats.
Am I able to rent a boat for several days?
- Yes! Multi-day rentals also recieve a discounted rate. There is not a multi-day discount available for half day rentals.
- We support you in your multi-day rental by checking the oil and prop every evening to ensure a smooth rental and keep your boat running top notch! Therefore, the boat must be returned to its designated slip every night.
Am I able to go on a night cruise with my rental boat?
- No, rentals are not allowed to be driven after sundown. All rentals must be returned a half an hour before sundown daily.
I’ll be on Madeline Island for a week and would like to rent a boat at some point. What’s your best suggestion for making a reservation?
- All rentals are subject to weather; therefore, we highly recommend that you make a reservation for the beginning of your trip. If poor boating weather rolls in, we can try to move your reservation to a future date while you are still in the area.
Can we stop on other islands?
- Yes! Rentals need to always be docked on an actual dock. Beaching the boat on shore is not allowed and unsafe.
- Currently, not all islands have functioning docks. That updated information can be found here. Before departure we will verbally guide you to the best spots to visit according to weather and waves that day.
What islands have restrictions and what are they?
- May 15 to September 1, Gull and Eagle Island are prohibited to boaters within 500 feet to protect nesting birds. Do not approach within 500 feet of any active eagle nest.
I want to grill food on an island. What do I need to know?
- Grilling on docks and vessels attached to docks is strictly prohibited. Do not leave any food unattended so as to not attract bears.
Where can I swim?
- Swimming within 100 feet of public docks is not permitted. Also, bathing directly in the lake with soap is also prohibited.
What do I need to know about docking on the islands?
- Space is available on a first come first serve basis. Some docks have spaces reserved for National Park Service (NPS) vessels and must remain open and available for them. Public docks are found on 12 of the islands.
What do we do with our trash?
- The Apostle Islands National Park enforces Leave No Trace. Anything and everything you bring with you on the boat needs to be packed out when you leave.
- Trash left on the rental boat after check-out is subject to a cleaning/disposal fee.
Are dogs allowed on the boat?
- Yes, dogs are allowed! Please let us know in advance the size and weight of the dog. These are handled on a one-on-one basis as the total weight capacity for each rental needs to be kept in mind. If a dog is over 50 pounds, that may inhibit how many people can be on board.
What other fees could be associated with my rental?
- If the boat is returned dirty (examples being excessive sand, mud, food, spills or pet hair) there will be an additional cleaning fee of $20-$50.
What else should I know before renting a boat?
- We encourage all boat operators and their groups to familiarize themselves with the National Park Services rules and regulations regarding boating and visiting the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore.
What is the cancellation refund policy?
- You can cancel your rental four weeks or more before the tour date and receive a full refund of your deposit minus a $20 processing fee. Canceling within two to four weeks prior to the tour, there is a 50% refund of the deposit minus a $20 processing fee. No refunds are given with less than two-week notice.
- Rentals canceled due to inclement weather will receive a full refund.
- Refunds are issued in the same form they are received. If booking online, we will refund you through our PayPal online booking system.